Welcome to our blog

Our hope is to provide a forum for mothers, fathers,and caregivers to discuss ideas, share insight and "pay it forward". Neither of us attended Medill school of journalism and we are not psychologists. We are just two women who have cared for aging grandparents and diapered littleones. We will share our experiences, tips and questions with you. Please share back. We need all the help we can get!

Kirsten and Katie
Co-founders ChicksWithKidz

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Whiskers for Mom's Club - Join Now

So I realized today that I have not seen my reflection in anything but the rearview mirror in over a month. This is not good. I know it is difficult to believe but it really is true. I realize that I could have a whisker or something really, really repulsive so I move up really close to the mirror in my visor to get a better look (at least it has a light). Tick tock, tick tock. Pfew. I dodged a bullet this time. No wild hairs. I have made my sister-in-law swear that when I am old she will not let me sit in the home with excess facial hair. Does this promise count while I am young and supposedly capable of taking care of my own beautification rituals, I wonder?

It occurs to me that this is rather absurd but I can’t be the only one this has happened to. Right? I brush my teeth morning and night but I am usually just waking up or falling asleep on my feet so staring at myself in the mirror is really not high on the list of priorities. I kind a gave up make up somehow, seemed like it was more important to feed the kids a good breakfast (good meaning not gummie bears).

So I am suddenly sitting here realizing that I have not really looked at myself in the mirror for a really long time. And aside from that moment when I thought I had a beard I am the happiest I have ever been. Thanks to technology I am lucky to be the modern mother who works from home. My lunch meeting is with a 2 year old in Elmo undies and we are planning to eat “samiches” under a tree. He’s handsome and he loves me best of all. I am pretty sure I’ll get a kiss or 10 while we destroy all civilization with our backhoes and bulldozers then build it back again with our horses and worms.
I suppose as long as I can get that sister-in-law of mine to extend her “hair free” guarantee to now, when I really need her, I’ll be OK.

~~ Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment