Welcome to our blog

Our hope is to provide a forum for mothers, fathers,and caregivers to discuss ideas, share insight and "pay it forward". Neither of us attended Medill school of journalism and we are not psychologists. We are just two women who have cared for aging grandparents and diapered littleones. We will share our experiences, tips and questions with you. Please share back. We need all the help we can get!

Kirsten and Katie
Co-founders ChicksWithKidz

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

New Mammogram Guidelines, Really?!

The government has come out with new guidelines for mammograms, I am so upset about them that I don’t even know where to begin…..

Here are the current facts/statistics for Breast Cancer –
-1 in 6 women is diagnosed with the disease. (who is the one in your circle of women?)
-Someone dies every 3 minutes from the disease.
-Mammograms save lives – I am living proof.

In April of 2008, at age 44, a routine mammogram found my breast cancer. It was small, 1.6 cm, but extremely aggressive, Triple Negative Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.
If I had waited another year until I was 45 or even 6 years until I was age 50 to get a mammogram, I would most likely be dead by now or by the time I got a mammogram.

Mammograms save lives!
Every women should get a baseline mammogram at age 40. And based on her risk factors, should get one every year or every other year after that.

Some risk factors are:
-Is there a history of breast cancer in your family?
-Is there a history of other kinds of cancers in your family?
-Did you give birth to any children? (if yes, you have a lower risk)
-Did you breast feed? (if yes, you have a lower risk).

I hope that the guidelines don’t influence women to become complacent in their care or allow insurance companies to deny coverage of mammograms.

I can not stress enough the importance of regular Dr. visits and mammograms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ GET YOUR BOOBIES SQUISHED! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment